Have you ever considered how far you would actually drive to purchase a used car? Is there a limit, or will you drive wherever it takes for the right vehicle? Would a two-hour drive to purchase a used Alfa Romeo be too much for you?
Here at Pentagon Group, we were curious about how far buyers would actually travel to purchase their next used car. Whilst investigating this, we delved deeper into the findings to see if there were any differences in distance travelled for different manufacturers and by different genders.
Will used car buyers travel further in 2020 than in 2019?
Used car buyers travelled an average of 43 minutes in 2019, compared to 59 minutes in 2020. That brings up the average time to just under an hour!
That's an average of 33 miles for a used car in 2019 compared to 48 miles in 2020, a 15-mile increase.
Customers looking for “enthusiast” car brands are willing to travel up to 500% further than general brands
Customers wanting to buy a used Alfa Romeo are willing to drive 103 miles to make a purchase - further than any other brand. Those looking to purchase a used Ford don't travel far at all, with an average of 28 miles.
This could be due to the availability of used Ford cars compared to Alfa Romeos; are buyers more likely to find their perfect used Ford closer to home?
Which gender is buying more cars?
Overall, used car sales for 2019 and 2020 hardly differ. In 2019, 22% of all used car sales were made by women, which slightly decreased to 19% in 2020. It’s still clear that, on the whole, men are purchasing more cars than women, as they account for the remaining 81% of sales in 2020.
How far are men willing to drive to buy a used car?
Data suggests that men are more likely to travel longer and further than women to purchase a vehicle. In 2019, men were willing to drive 10 miles more than women to snap up their next car, which has increased by 15 miles in 2020.
In 2019, men drove an average of 31 miles to purchase their next used vehicle. In 2020, this increased by 11 to 42 miles.
How far are women willing to drive for a used car?
Women travelled an average of 21 miles for their next car in 2019 compared to 33 miles in 2020.
They're travelling, on average, 12 more minutes too. Women drove 31 minutes in 2019 and 43 in 2020. Women are travelling further for their next used car as well.
It’s clear to see that, on the whole, used car buyers are willing to travel further in 2020 than they were in 2019. Men are also more likely to travel further than women for their next used car.
Regardless of manufacturer or gender, there seems to be a willingness to travel for the best deal. At Pentagon, we stock a wide variety of new and used cars at fantastic prices, and we’re committed to making sure your next car purchase ticks all the boxes.
Data source: Pentagon Group purchase data from 2019 and 2020.
Some cookies are necessary, while others allow us to enhance your experience, personalise content and ads (across your devices), and provide insights into how the site is being used. Our recommended settings are that these cookies are all active but if you aren't happy with this you can manage your preferences by clicking Customise Cookie Settings.
Necessary cookies enable core functionality. Our website cannot function properly without these cookies, and they can only be disabled by changing your browser preferences (please note if disabled our website may not work or show correctly on your device).
We use personalisation cookies to understand how you engage with our website across all your devices, this includes recording your browsing habits and activity. This information is used for profiling purposes and to help identify you, so that we can show personalised content.
We use third party cookies on our site to serve you with advertisements that we believe are relevant to you and your interests. You may see these advertisements on our site and on other sites that you visit on any of your devices where you've accepted marketing cookies. Please note that if you disable these, you will still see adverts but they won't be specifically tailored to you and your interests.